Over the Christmas holiday I got a new Ipod Touch through some work I did for another website. Since my old classic Ipod was stolen a few months back I had forgotten how much I loved having an Ipod. It was useful in so many ways, but then again it was limited for some applications. It was mostly just a music/movie/game machine.
Now that I have an Ipod touch, I’ve realized that it can be oh so much more. It can do email, surf the web, play games, and use custom apps that can help you do anything from keep a shopping list to track your workouts. I realized that the touch can help me fulfill my workout and weight loss goals I’ve set for the new year! What is my fitness goal for the new year? I’ve set a goal of losing 35 pounds by July 1st. Wish me luck!
Helpful Health and Fitness Apps
I’ve downloaded some useful health and fitness apps, and I thought I’d give a quick review of some of my favorites.
- Weightbot from Tapbots: The weight tracking app is one of my favorite new apps. The app is extremely simple, but has a beautiful design. What does it do for you? You can enter your weight daily through a simple interface, and watch as your weight decreases (hopefully) over time. It’ll show you your BMI, and after you enter your goal weight it will show you a beautiful graph showing your progress, or lack thereof. Basically, it is a great way to motivate yourself. You can also make backups of the data through your wi-fi connection, and in the future you’ll be able to export your weight data. Also, if you want to make sure that no one else views your data, you can lock it with a passcode! Not bad for .99 cents!
- Gym Buddy: This app provides a nice way to keep track of your workouts. Define your own exercises, set up your own workouts. Allows you to keep track of your workouts by time, repititions, weight and notes. Also includes a way of tracking your cardio after a recent update. Only $2.99, and a good replacement for a workout notebook.
- PushupFu: A while back i was doing the 100 pushups challenge. I’m not doing that right now, but if you enjoy pushups, here’s a fun little pushups app. The application allows you to do pushup training, compete against others, and get scores for your pushups. Hard, but fun! $2.99
- Run Chart: This little app allows you to time your run workouts, as well as gives you audible cues as to how long you’ve been running. Set up specific routes in the software and setup goal split times to reach. The software will give you audible cues when those times are reached. Nice little piece of software for $2.99.
- Ifitness: A nice fitness app that shows you over 115 different exercises that you can perform, categorized by body region. Also allows you to log your workouts. Affordable as well at only $1.99
- Ipump Free Workout: Try out a free workout from Pump One, created by fitness professionals. They’d like to you to buy one of their paid apps, but give the free one a try first. Includes pictures of exercises, logs, exports via email. Can’t go wrong with free.
- Fit Phone: Another workout log that helps you keep track of your workouts, and then has some nice graphs to help you see how you’ve been progressing. $4.99
- Ishape: Calorie, nutrition and exercise diary. Set weight loss goals, and use the app to help you achieve them. Currently on sale for .99 cents!
So there you go, there’s a handful of good fitness apps for your Iphone or Ipod. They are certainly only a few of the apps that you can use to work towards your goals, and there a ton more waiting for you to discover them at the Apple Apps Store.
Do you have any Ipod or Iphone apps that you’re using to help further your fitness goals? What are they?