One thing that can be extremely difficult to do is continue exercising or working out while you’re on the road. Often the places you’re staying may not have adequate workout facilities or weights that you normally work out with.
What is a person to do when there just aren’t many great options for exercising? It’s time to get creative!
Exercising On The Road – Get Creative
When you’re on vacation or on the road for work it can be tough to maintain a regular workout schedule. If you plan ahead, however, it can be done.
So what are some things you can do to make sure you maintain your regular healthy lifestyle while on the road?
- Stay at a hotel with workout facilities: When you’re booking your hotel make sure that they offer some sort of a workout facility with weights, treadmills and so forth. Most hotel booking sites will make a note of hotels that offer those types of amenities.
- Go running: One thing you can always do even if your hotel doesn’t have a treadmill is to go running in the area that you’re staying. It can be fun to go out and see the area where you’re visiting – and see it early in the morning before things get busy. Just don’t get lost!
- Do body weight exercises: You can do body weight exercises in your hotel room. Things like pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups or squats. Check out a program like Crossfit.
- Bring your own workout gear: You can bring lightweight exercise gear like resistance bands in your suitcase and get in a good weights workout routine. Put video workouts on your ipod or laptop!
- Go hiking or walking while sightseeing: When sightseeing do plenty of walking while you’re checking out the sites. Or if you’re in a more natural setting, go for a hike! You’ll be exhausted at the end of the day!
- Incorporate fun healthy activities like golf or tennis: Take time for golf breaks and check out the local courses. It can be fun to see a course you’re not used to. Or play some tennis with a friend.
- Do Yoga: Yoga can actually be quite strenuous, so try doing some while on the road.
- Play beach games: If you’re on the beach at a tropical location, get in on a beach volleyball game or play frisbee on the sand.
- Take a bike tour: Many popular tourist locations will do bike tours, or allow you to rent bicycles by the hour. Go out for a spin!
- Swimming: Go for a swim in the hotel pool or the ocean. Swimming can be great exercise!
So as you can see there are a myriad of ways to stay on your fitness regimen while you’re out on vacation – or on the road for business. Just get creative and you’ll come up with a bunch of other ways as well!
How do you stay fit while you’re away from home? Tell us in the comments!
Ha! If only I worked somewhere close to resembling that pic!
Anyway, on the concept of bodyweight exercises, you might want to check out “Solitary Fitness” by the infamous Charles Bronson. No, not the actor, the criminal. I guess given his 50 odd years of being locked up he’s had plenty of time to perfect his own bodyweight exercise technique.